Saturday 8 November 2014

Tor Gaming - Relics!



You may remember I had a dalliance with Warhammer a while ago...started building a Skaven army and everything....then simply fell out of love with it all.....well, I say love...more of a passing fancy perhaps....anyway, I have put that all behind me.

However, I have not entirely lost my 'thing' for the fantasy/sci-fi side of things. I stumbled across a game that called it self Stitchpunk, as opposed to steampunk of course, by a company called Tor Gaming. I was drawn by the figure sculpts as much as anything else, my love of tricorns teased by the addition of what can only be called sock-puppets....I know.

The game is called Relics, and there is a back story that provides a general history and individual stories for the four races involved, two more are being created and should be ready next year.

The four races are;

Britanan - The ones with the tricorns. These are basically puppets; little stitched-together-out-of-cloth-scraps sock people. Seemingly, the actual human race was largely destroyed in a cataclysmic magical attack and the army rebuilt in their image...sort of. There are some great models for this army, cavalry are centaur like puppets,

From the Relics Website


 there is a great human puppeteer figure

From the Relics website


and even a pack of sock-puppet attack hounds!

From the Relics website...love tho hounds!

Its really an 18th C. army and society woven into a fantasy world....and why not? A lot of fun with some neat figures. These are from my own force, a unit of Troopers with a colour party of standard bearer and drummer..there is also a sergeant in there too. These are bigger armies with cheaper point values...but the whole force is still very small compared to many such games.



Then there are the Nuem. These are supposed to be the remains of a race tricked into slavery and melded with machines....its fantasy....get over it! Again, the figures are very nice and you can have a lot of fun with them....this is my force of Nuem so far...a few more to add but this is the core....not huge armies are they! A real bonus!!!!

My own Nuem...say hi guys...

Note that some are straight forward machines and others are more cyborgy...nice models all.

The other races are the Orcnar, a bit Troll like....orcy, if you will...an army for those that like to smash and grab!

From the Relics website

From the Relics website


Then there are the Vaettir....the flower fairies of the Relics universe....sweet :)

From the Relics website

From the Relics website

From the Relics website


In all, these is a nice set of figures for a game that has some innovative rules, hits are scored by rolling doubles, for example. The games are compact, often using a small 3x3 table, and the armies of a sensible size. Of course you can go mad and build a 1000 point army but most games average 300 points; the Nuem stuff I have in the picture above, including the two units I still have to sort out (seven figures in all) covers that nicely. My first game is set for 25th of this month, against Andrew who, for some reason, has chosen a Vaettir force. This should be a lot of fun despite being a first game with new rules...Andrew soaks up rules and so much of the problem should be dealt with :) I even made Andrew a nice picture for his Vaettir...because I am nice.....


8 comments:

  1. I just can't bring myself to get into this game. yes some of the figures are nice as are some of the ideas. Call it personal choice and it's just not for me!

    I wish you well though and I am sure it will look grand. But is it just another flash in the pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clint, yeah...;these things either grab you or they dont...so get that. I am enjoying painting them and the small games concept pleases me... ;)

      Delete
  2. I have also been seduced by this fantastic looking game. I however cannot make up my mind which side to go for though I have a few Brits.

    Both your forces look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, yeah, choice of force is a problem...especially when there are a copule of new races due out next year! The Britanans are nice but you do need a few of them. The Orcnar look mad too, can see them making a very good looking force. Take a good look through the rule book and see which force suits the game you want to play...or just which force you fancy painting...its as good a way of choosing as any!

      Delete
  3. Or do as I do which is be completley mad, get every faction and enter tournaments without ever playing the game (I did quite well though) - Gav from Tor Gaming is a great bloke and relics is a cracking fun game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carl. sounds like a plan mate, well done! The armies are so small that it does become a little easier to do that...and I am glad you had fun in the tournament too :) My first game is next Tuesday....should be a laugh!

      Delete
  4. Those sock puppet hounds have just made my day. Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete